Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Christ Crucified for Our Sins

Jesus died on the cross for my sins.  He took all of my sin, guilt, and shame on Himself.  He conquered sin, death, and the devil.  This is the focus of my life as a Christian, and when it is not, the mercy given through the blood of Christ covers that as well.  His mercy and grace covers my sins in the good times, and my sins in the bad times.  His grace sustains me when I am focused on the cross, and when I betray Him and commit sins great and small.  This focus on Jesus is where I should always be - it was Christ's will for my life when I was first baptized back in 1981.  My journey through Christianity has brought me from the Disciples of Christ, through Charismatic/Evangelicalism, and Calvinism - finally arriving at the Lutheran Church at the feet of Jesus.  More specifically, the focus on Christ on the cross for our sins, as Luther rediscovered and articulated has brought me so much peace and renewal.  My walk is NOT about me, it is about Jesus on the cross for me.  He has saved me from my sin, sustains me with His grace given through the Word of God preached and taught, my baptism into Christ, and the Lord's Supper. 

I want to use this blog to explore Christian spirituality and the truths of Scripture.  My journey to Luther is just beginning, as I am now in a Lutheran Church taking the membership classes, however, I feel like I have been slowly persuaded over the past 2 years as I have listened to Issues Etc., attended Lutheran Churches, and read numerous Lutheran books.  Some of my fears of "sacramentalism" have been laid to rest as I have come to understand the focus on Jesus on the cross, Scripture, and properly viewing the Sacraments in the light of both the cross and Scripture.  And the peace and assurance I have in Jesus now is so much greater - since I am no longer continuously looking inward, but now look outward to a real event, Jesus death on the cross for my sins given to me in God's mercy in grace.  My heart is fickle and sinful - but I know Christ is holding on to me, it's not even possible for me to hold on to God.  All I can do is receive His gifts of forgiveness and mercy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment